Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reversing Course

Mr John Ballantrae is a tarot reader and a student of astrology. He teaches both of these disciplines and as one of his students I am going to participate in a recommended exercise. Posting about tarot on a regular basis.

You can find Mr. Ballantrae at the following places (among others):

The Tarot
21st Century Tarot Blogspot Radio
Analytical Astrology

I must first admit that, although I am experienced, I have never used reversed cards. My first exercise will be in shuffling and dealing using John's technique.

"How will using reversals affect my tarot reading?"

Two of Wands - Reversed of course!!






The suit of Wands represents the element of fire, the primitive life force.

Attribution for this card is Mars in Aries.

What I see:

The figure is losing one of his wands which is slipping out of his hand and in the other hand his whole world is falling down! One wand remains because it has been safely bolted to the wall.

The Rose and Cross and Lilly are now on the top right instead of the lower left.

The short wall is at the top of the card a "pushing down" on the figure in instead of supporting him.

I  have always been intrigued by AE Waite's description/meaning of this card when upright:

"here is a lord overlooking his dominion and alternately contemplating a globe; it looks like the malady, the mortification, the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world’s wealth."

 As a result of Mr. Waite's influence I quite often find that this card will represent dissatisfaction and yearning – looking at what you have but wanting more.

What can this card mean when it is reversed? And how does it answer my question?

"How will using reversals affect my tarot reading?"

I like the fact that I have remembered to fasten one of my wands to the wall so that I don't lose everything! It seems as if I will have some difficulty in changing how I do things after so many years. That rampart is heavy and being on the top of the card now, it feels almost claustrophobic. The one system that I have always used is going to fall away unless I have it grasped very tightly. But that figure is staring at his world and his wand and seems to be too focused on one thing.

I need to turn around and see the other wand on the wall behind me. The other "system".

There is a feeling of ambivalence in this card. "What is in front of me or what is behind me?" "What I have in my hand or what I have turned my back on?" "The ship that might arrive at any moment or what I already possess?"

I am not sure about the Rose and the Lilly. Is that an indication that I will be rewarded in my efforts?

Final Thoughts

Do I feel that reading reversals is not necessary? That I have not been dissatisfied and looking for more? That I have misgivings?

I believe this card wants me to question my habits and preferences and take a closer look at what is behind me. Perhaps the world that I have in the palm of my hand is no longer enough.

No comments:

Search This Blog